Sunday, July 12, 2009

The King of Pop is Dead

I was in the car running errands when I first heard that Michael Jackson had been taken to the hospital. They didn’t think he was breathing when paramedics got to him. Later, still in the car, they announced that he was dead. I was a little surprised, but then again, not totally.

I’ve always felt kind of sorry for Michael Jackson. It seems obvious that besides all the fame, he had his share of demons. I would guess that a really crappy, abuse filled childhood contributed to his problems.
Jackson’s musical legacy is undeniable. He was truly, a genius in his field. His four decades of work were creative, and innovative. The “Thriller” era was my personal favorite.

But while his professional life flourished, his personal life was quite a different story: sketchy at best, and a real freakshow at worst. The details of his life, in fact EVERY detail of his life, has been playing non-stop on television and radio for what seems like an eternity.
The obsession with celebrity in this country is totally amazing to me - and not in a good way. I am struggling to hold myself in check on this post so as not to be disrespectful - so I will simply say, OK – enough already. The funeral, or tribute is over, and we have examined every possible nook and cranny of his life, and his house, and his kids, and his glove, and his music, over and over again. So can we all PLEASE – PLEASE get back to our lives?

Yes – Michael Jackson was truly the King of Pop. Yes – he was a brilliant musician, creator, and performer. Let’s pay our respects and move on. Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment